To commemorate World Environment Day, the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), International Water Management Institute (IWMI), Institute of Engineering, Tribhuvan University (IoE/TU), and WLE are co-hosting a virtual session to launch “Water, Climate Change & Sustainability”.
The book is co-edited by Prof. Vishnu Prasad Pandey (IoE/TU, Nepal), Prof. Sangam Shrestha (AIT, Thailand), and Dr. David Wiberg (IWMI, Sri Lanka) and includes 16 chapters with contributions from 49 authors/co-authors across the globe.
WLE Program Director, Dr. Stefan Uhlenbrook, who is also Strategic Program Director – Water, Food & Ecosystems for IWMI, will be a keynote speaker at the Launch.
Climate change continues to intensify existing pressures in water resources management, such as rapid population growth, land use changes, pollution, damming of rivers, and many others. Securing a reliable water supply — critical for achieving the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) — requires understanding of the relation between finite water resources, climate variability/change and various elements of sustainability. 'Water, Climate Change & Sustainability' is a timely and in-depth examination of the concept of sustainability as it relates to water resources management in the context of climate change risks.
Featuring contributions by global authors, this edited volume is organized into three sections: Sustainability Concepts; Sustainability Approaches, Tools, and Techniques; and Sustainability in Practice. Detailed chapters describe the linkage between water and sustainable development, highlight the development and use of new measuring and reporting methods, and discuss the implementation of sustainability concepts in various water use sectors. Topics include localizing and mainstreaming global water sustainability initiatives, resilient water infrastructure for poverty reduction, urban water security for sustainable cities, climate actions and challenges for sustainable ecosystem services, and more.
This important resource:
- Reviews contemporary scientific research and practical applications in the areas of water, climate change and sustainability in different regions of the world
- Discusses future directions of research and practices in relation to expected patterns of climate changes
- Covers a wide range of concepts, theories, and perspectives of sustainable development of water resources
- Features case studies of field and modelling techniques for analyzing water resources and evaluating vulnerability, security and associated risks
- Discusses practical applications of water resources in contexts such as food security, global health, clean energy, and climate action
Water, Climate Change & Sustainability is an invaluable resource for policy makers, water managers, researchers and other professionals in the field, and an ideal text for graduate students in hydrogeology, climate change, geophysics, geochemistry, geography, water resources and environmental science.
Join Webinar via Zoom:
5 June 2021 from 11:15 – 13:00 hrs (UTC) [6:15PM Thailand; 5:00 PM Nepal; 7:15 EST]